Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948 (UDHR) http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/UDHRIndex.aspx
It proclaims rights which workers, as human beings, are entitled to enjoy.
The UDHR sets a common standard for all UN member States (http://www.un.org/en/members/index.shtml ).
Since the UDHR was adopted in 1948, many instruments have been added to its basic structure. The most important human rights treaties adopted by UN organisations are:
- International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination 1965 (CERD); http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CERD.aspx
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights 1966 (CESCR); http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CESCR.aspx
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights 1966 (CCPR) and Protocols; http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CCPR.aspx
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women 1979 (CEDAW) and Protocols; http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CEDAW.aspx
- Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment 1984 (CAT) and Protocols; http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CAT.aspx
- Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989 (CRC) and Protocols; http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CRC.aspx and
- International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families, 1990 http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CMW.aspx
- International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance, 2006 and protocols; http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/CED/Pages/ConventionCED.aspx
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities 2006 (UNCRPD) and Protocols; http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/CRPD/Pages/ConventionRightsPersonsWithDisabilities.aspx
- Links to the Optional Protocols can be found here: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CoreInstruments.aspx