South Korea’s Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF) said on 28 May that salvage companies interested in tendering for the hoisting of Sewol will be advised on preparing their bids.
The MOF will hold a session at 15:00 h local time on 29 May to guide interested companies in writing technical proposals and creating business presentations.
The salvage companies will also be briefed on the criteria the ministry will use to evaluate the tenders.
The MOF will also share the results of the underwater survey that was carried out on the area around the ferry to assist the companies in devising appropriate salvage methods.
Related news:Seoul launches Sewol salvage tender
The companies have until 23 June to submit their proposals and the salvage work is expected to begin in September.
Technological know-how will account for 80% of the evaluation while costs would form the remaining 20% of the prerequisites.
To encourage participation of qualified local salvage companies, consortiums comprising local and multinational salvage companies will be given extra points. This is to minimise the outflow of national capital.
Sewol capsized during a routine Incheon-Jeju trip on 16 April 2014, leaving 304 of 476 passengers and crew dead or missing. The ferry remains submerged in the Maenggol Channel of the Yellow Sea, an area notorious for its swift and unpredictable currents.
Nine bodies remain missing and their families want the ferry to be hoisted at the earliest opportunity in hope of finding the corpses.