When a crew on a merchant ship is abandoned in a foreign port, a familiar pattern of events often unfolds:
- Fuel for generators runs out
- Salaries stop being paid
- Shore leave is denied
- Food and water stops being supplied
- Services provided to the ship go unpaid
- Often the ship owner cannot be traced or remains in the background, sometimes threatening the crew and making false promises
- On board, phone cards run out of credit and seafarers are unable call home.
- Relationships suffer as boredom sets in and tempers flare
- Families of seafarers are left begging for help
In these circumstances, you should take action as soon as appropriate.