Under the Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (‘MLC’):
- A country that has ratified the MLC must promote the development of welfare facilities in designated ports to provide seafarers on ships that are in port with access to adequate welfare facilities and services.
- There should be consultation with shipowner and seafarer organisations concerning which ports are to be regarded as appropriate.
- Shore based welfare facilities, where they exist, must be easily accessible.
- Shore based welfare facilities, where they exist, must be available for the use of all seafarers irrespective of nationality, race, colour, sex, religion, political opinion or social origin.
- Welfare Boards are encouraged so as to make sure that adequate services are provided.